This stew is delicious and super easy to make. It is not gluten free, so if you are steering clear from gluten you might want to avoid it. I personally did not think to question whether barley had gluten or not until after I ate my first bowlful. To my deep dismay barley has gluten.
For those who are not allergic/sensitive to gluten, eating whole grains that posses gluten is optimal, rather than eating them ground.
Barley & Bean Vegan Stew
- 2 cups barley, soaked in water for 1-5 hrs
- 2 cups white beans, soaked in water for 1-5 hrs
- 8-12 cups water [depending on how thick you would like your stew to come out]
- 1/4 cup water to saute veggies
- 4 medium size carrots, cut into half and then chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp cumin powder
- 3 tbsp tomato paste [optional]
- Himalayan or Sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Having soaked barley, strain water and rinse, place into a cooking pot, add 4 cups of water and salt; bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium and boil for 30 minutes
- Strain water from beans, rinse; add beans to barley and add remaining water; boil on medium heat for additional 30-40 minutes
- Place garlic and onions in a skillet, saute with water for 3-5 mins on high heat, stirring
- Add carrot and saute for 5 minutes on medium heat
- Add bell pepper; keep sauteing for additional 5 mins
- Add cumin and tomato paste, stirring thoroughly
- Taste to see if beans are soft and barley is well cooked [that is after step #1 and #2]; if they are, add vegetable mix and reduce heat to medium-low [having brought the stew to boil first], and cook for another 10-15 mins;
- Add parsley and let it sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
Enjoy! Let me know how you like this dish if you try making it.
PS: If you decide not to add tomato paste, your stew is going to look lighter: