It is time for the next “new” recipe. This salad has been a favorite of mine for MANY years. I can’t even tell you how far back it goes as a traditional dish in our family. I only “healthied it up” a bit–it is good on so many levels And it is extmely simple to make. You need very few ingredients and a julienne peeler or a mandoline slicer. I prefer julienne peeler–I get away without slicing a finger or two when I use it Julienne peelers are wonderful and cost anywhere between $5-8. You can find them in any local store, a kitchen specialty store, or on-line.
Here is my “old faithful”.
● 3 large carrots, julienned lengthwise
● ½ green bell pepper, cubed into small pieces
● ½ red bell pepper, cubed into small pieces
● Handful of chopped dill or green onions, or cilantro—it is absolutely up to your taste buds
● Sea salt to taste
● Black Pepper or all-purpose seasoning to taste
● 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice or vinegar, or vegan mayo
● ½ cup soaked sunflower seeds (optional)
● ½ medium-large onion, thinly sliced (optional)
(If optional ingredients are not added in, you won’t lose any taste or flavor)
- Julienne carrots
- Mix with garlic, and lemon, tossing with your hands. Squeeze lightly to let the juices mix faster.
- Sauté bell peppers and onions for no more than 3-5 minutes on low-medium heat with water.
- Add remaining ingredients and sautéd veggies to carrots, and let salad sit for at least 20-30 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy! It is that simple!
The dish is elegant and simply and is sure to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters (it does in my family).