Yesterday I thought it was a good idea to come up with a Daniel Fast friendly dessert recipe. It meant using unprocessed ingredients, so, naturally, if I wanted chocolate, it would have to be the raw cacao I would use. Big Mistake! Especially since I ended up making this delicious dessert in the evening, for dinner… not too long before bed. Needless to say, Hubby and I stayed up chatting until 1 am. When we finally drifted off to the sleep-land, Sprout decided it was time to party at 5 am, so this Momma did not get much sleep.
Lesson Learned: this is a delicious recipe, but is quiet a stimulant, so I would not suggest it to Daniel Fasters for that reason. The rest of you–ENJOY!
Cream of Chocolate
Oil & Sugar Free Vegan Chocolate Mousse Recipe
Makes 2 servings
- 1.5 cup cashews
- water for soaking nuts
- 3/4-1 cup almond milk
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp unprocessed cacao powder
- 5-7 pre-soaked, pitted dates or 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 3/4-1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Soak cashews in water (make sure water covers the nuts) for a couple of hours
- Strain water, rinse nuts
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender
- Blend until smooth (you can make mousse thicker or thinner by adjusting the amount of plant milk you use)
- Garnish with anything you like–I blended a few berries and poured a teaspoon of the mix on top of the mousse, spreading with a knife
Enjoy! And, DO NOT eat it too close to your bed time! Nursing Mommas, beware that your kiddos might feel the effects of raw cacao powder!